Thursday, November 26, 2009

Painting with Encircling Light

This is a method called painting with light where you leave the shutter open (bulb mode) on you camera and just use a glow to set where you want to expose, the light in this example was just a small pen light but you can do the similar sort of thing in fields at night with torches to enlighten say, rocks or trees. In this picture of my epiphone and amplifier I just opened the shutter and traced encircling the edges of each element, i.e. body, strings, amp etc. This shaped multiple exposures which I then joint in Photoshop (I believe I set the blend mode to monitor to keep only the lightest parts). A stand is essential as neither the camera nor the theme can move during any of the exposures and obviously the less ambient light entering the room the better.

0 comments: