Thursday, February 4, 2010

Painting to culture

One of my long-ago times as a child was looking at my parent's art books. I didn't like leaving to the museum. That meant short-lived up an afternoon of play and stuffing for me into clothing that made me feel claustrophobic. It meant being eyed doubtfully by curators who I now understand were guarding treasures for the public good. But back then I simply didn't like the feeling of not being trusted.

When I got a little older, I in progress looking at bookstores as kinder, gentler museums. My all time favorites for cheap artistic thrills are museum catalogues. I go to Strand's bookstore, which has display catalogues of all kinds of artwork, from 19th century American painting to sculpture to European furnishings.

Even better is the letters of art post cards. They are a reasonably priced way to own something beautiful. Though it may be true that nothing can contrast to an original painting, I seldom have time for such delight.

What I liked about looking at an art book is that I didn't have to trade an afternoon of play for creative enjoyment. My parents told me that some day I would be grateful for all the trips to museums. The only error they made was calling it "culture". That held no petition for me at all. I liked it much better when they just said that someone tinted really great pictures. Even today, looking at a good painting is like consumption a good Pilsner with my eyes.

0 comments: